Our original school building was opened in 1877. However, formal education in Pirton began before this, growing out of the early straw plaiting schools which were started locally to meet the demands of the hat making industry, centred in Luton and Dunstable.
Our school logo shows this historic link with the hands of straw plaiters joined in friendship across plaited straw, a symbol which has significance to our school even in the 21st century.
In 1875 the Pirton School Board was established to enable local children to receive a more academic education.
While maintaining the charm of the original building, the present school has been extended and constantly modernised and refurbished to meet the expectations of education and the world we live in today.
The more recent block, built in 1975, consists of a very spacious hall/gymnasium, a large classroom and the kitchen where school meals are prepared.
The old school house is joined to the school and is used for teaching small groups. It contains a kitchen which is used by small groups for food technology.
In 2003-04 we refurbished the upstairs of the building to facilitate the staff room, a teacher resource room and a small group room.
In 2018 we had a new classroom built between the two main buildings.
The school stands in extensive grounds, with a full-size football pitch, a hard-surfaced court for tennis/netball and a small orchard. There is an attractive hard-surfaced playground surrounded by garden areas between the two buildings. The whole site is securely fenced.
In January 2006 we had a ‘Green Room’ living willow structure planted on the school field. This provides an outdoor learning space and will provide a shady area for quiet reflection during playtime in the summer months. We give our thanks to Pirton School Association for enabling this to happen.